Four Winds BMW Riders
Riding from the Three Rivers to the Four Winds...

Forum 05 MAINWhat’s happening . . . ?
Join our Four Winds community for the latest news and views, see who’s here, what’s going on and ask for advice.
One of our members conducts an impromptu tech session at Top O’ the Rockies rally.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AZ Jan Ride.

AZ Jan Ride. 3 years 3 months ago #1800

• Jay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I was in Phoenix for a meeting this week and played hooky for a few days on a rental GS.
Here was the planned ride that I had to alter due to weather conditions in the mountains.

Wound up missing Flagstaff (snowed there a few days earlier) and the Coronado Trail AZ 191 which was a bummer. AZ191, formerly 666 was my impetus for this trip, considered one of the best MC roads in the US. It’s at around 9k feet so not feasible this trip. Will have to go back! But had a great time overall with the last couple of days in the mountains going through at least 3 temperature fluctuations between 38-60F in one day. I was prepared for the weather and almost switched to my alternate route heading west towards California. Glad I didn’t.

Was careful to avoid the border patrol near the border. Didn’t want to get deported to Mexico on account of my skin color! No wall yet but some fencing.

Not too many pictures- busy riding - 1000 Miles in 3 Days.

That GS is a beast.

Bisbee, a cool old mining town near the border.

Salt river canyon, one of 4-5 switchbacks on the ride. Awesome desolate roads!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

AZ Jan Ride. 3 years 3 months ago #1801

• Walter B. Halaja
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Awesome Jay, you Hooky player :woohoo:
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Walter B. Halaja.

AZ Jan Ride. 3 years 1 month ago #1831

• Ralph L. Meyer
Wow, Jay! THAT'S the way to play hooky!! Good going! ...And thanks for the pix! Lovely!!! :)

AZ Jan Ride. 3 years 1 month ago #1832

• sean barrett
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
looks like you had fun. I frequently find meeting locations within 2-3 days distance from here so I can take the bike. I should look into more distant meetings like this and rent a bike there. I have always wanted to ride further out west but don't usually have the time to ride that far. Thx for the idea

Re:AZ Jan Ride. 3 years 1 month ago #1833

• Jay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
seanbarrett wrote:
looks like you had fun. I frequently find meeting locations within 2-3 days distance from here so I can take the bike. I should look into more distant meetings like this and rent a bike there. I have always wanted to ride further out west but don't usually have the time to ride that far. Thx for the idea

I haven’t ridden to nearby meetings but that sounds like a great idea - I’ll keep that in mind. Geisinger has some good meetings and would be a perfect location. Maybe something in the Carolinas.

The only other western riding trip I did was in 2015 in conjunction with a meeting in Las Vegas. I have a report with pictures in our picture gallery on smumug.

Future possibilities include San Francisco, Denver and Salt Lake City.

AZ Jan Ride. 3 years 1 month ago #1834

• Joann Barr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Nice Pictures Jay. Love that scenery.
joann barr
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds